I have been reflecting on this milestone the past few months. I'm not sure about you, but I hold a lot of expectations for significant anniversaries. It's the "SILVER" anniversary, as you know.
Renew vows, go to Hawaii, cruise Alaska, go to Switzerland. . .lots of dreams.
Yet, reality is that the day marking 25 years felt like year 24 and 364 days did.
Life continues. . .dirty laundry, fighting children, no sleep
Yet we fight for love to continue, for His love in us to continue towards one another.
Life continues. . .illness, death, dinner, groceries, car purchase, transporting kids, dance, and more dance, show choir, soccer, basketball, church.
Yet we fight for love to continue, for His love in us to continue towards one another.
Life continues. . .camp, mowing the grass, scooping dog poop, wearing out the Haitian sensation, fighting adults (us, LOL).
Yet we fight for love to continue, for His love in us to continue towards one another.
Truth: We went nowhere spectacular. Honestly, I was sad about that. Reality did not meet expectation. God halted each plan we made. We know why, and it was His ministry that came first. Truth: We did life that day. . .together.
I guess 25 years allows me to pass on words of wisdom, so hear it goes. . .
- Choose well from the start. Tim is led by Christ. Christ loves me more than Tim, so it's a win-win.
- Pursue one another daily. Honestly, we could improve here.
- Apologize. Mistakes are made daily. Apologize, then forgive.
- Take time together. This is probably my biggest suggestion, and I think it's one that some don't understand. Because Tim and I were together so long without children, we continued to take a weekend away when we could. This has become more difficult in the past few years. And, honestly, that has taken it's toll.
- Pray in good and bad. Again, we can improve greatly here.
- Lean into Jesus, TOGETHER. During the hard, the broken, the grief, AND the joy!
- Treat marriage like a battle because it is. It is a covenant, vows are a covenant. . .It's why God ordained marriage. . .He wanted a covenant that would model His covenant. He doesn't just live with us for the moment. He wants us to feel safe in His covenant. Because of this, marriage will be a spiritual battle from start to finish.
Happy 25th Timmy T! I love you more than you know!
2 comments:
Beautiful words, Angel! I know your reality didn't turn out the way your plans originally were, but your day was the way it was supposed to be. Enjoy the next 25 and beyond!
Love you both! Happy 25+
Post a Comment