Yes, blogging for someone like me is dangerous,
VERY dangerous.
I'm opinionated on MANY things:
Education.
Christianity.
Marriage.
Adoption.
Well, pretty much LIFE.
And, now I'm on a rant.
You have been warned.
And, before you send me hateful comments,
just know that I am an educator.
So, I feel that I can complain.
It's kind of like being able to gripe about who's in office if you have voted, but not if you haven't.
Well, I've "voted"
And, this is my 2 cents on homework.
Stop giving it.
There, I've said it.
I might lose my School Psychologist license.
The word is out, and I may be black-balled.
But here's the hard truth.
I only work part-time, yet homework limits our family.
You have my child for 6-7 hours a day.
Get it done then.
I do not work late.
I am not what you would call, a workaholic.
I barely work.
But, let's do a break down on the time:
4:00-4:15: Pick up children from childcare
4:30: Arrive home, wash hands, get everything out
4:45: Start homework
5:15: Try to start dinner if I can stop working on my history. (oh wait, I stopped my history learning over 22 years ago. the problem is if my child has 1 question then I have to read the whole chapter to figure out what in the heck the question is asking)
6:00: Beat my head against the wall because I have no idea what partial products, lattice method, or partial sums means. . .just borrow or regroup. . .something I understand PEOPLE!!
For the LOVE!
6:00: If I have not knocked myself out, eat.
6:30-6:45: Clean up
7:30: bath (Yes, M. takes a LONG time to get finished with ANY task so she will be in there until snack/bedtime)
8:15: Snack
8:30: bedtime
I would love to have family devotion time, DEARY-B time (drop everything and ready your Bible time), game time. . .the problem is this schedule doesn't show you CHURCH night, dance night or fill-in-the-blank night. Our kids are not in everything, and we can barely breathe. One homework flaw, one problem that stumps us, one forgotten book. . .well, you hear my message . . .there is no room for error.
Here's the homework I like and think is effective:
20 minutes of reading
Work on math facts
Write a journal entry.
Done.
(Disclaimer: My kids have had the best teachers I could ask for, so this isn't about them. Just education in general)
No comments:
Post a Comment