Thursday, May 29, 2014

A BIG day

End of the school year. . .
Yes, I'm more than happy to sleep in tomorrow,
But I'm not ready for my girls to no longer be in elementary school and for one to now be in middle school.

It feels like a changing of the seasons.
Time moving faster than I want it to.
Don't get me wrong, I love the dialog that I can have with the girls.
The laughter, the conversations.
But, I will miss the elementary days.
(I'm blessed to have one more getting ready to enter, so it's not really the end, but it FEELS like it!)

Starting the Final Day of 4th Grade & 6th Grade

We were unable to go to Lily's awards day where she received A/B honor roll certificate for the year. Team awards were held separately with just the students. 

She received the following awards (I do not know why the "blog" flipped these, and I'm not techo enough to fix it!):  "Hot Tamale" for outstanding leadership, citizenship, and for always going the extra degree on Team 212. And, a science achievement award for an "A average" for the year. Yes, we are pretty proud.


The part of her day that I was able to come to was field day, which was rained out after 15 minutes.

(She's jumping rope)

And, she finishes the day a new "7th Grader"

Now, in 4th grade, awards day is a big deal. I cry often at this ceremony--even if I don't have a 4th grader. It's a killer. But this year, I had a good reason to bawl my eyes out. Madelyn even had a kleenex and used it (and she's not that emotional). At this ceremony, Madelyn received a special award. In each class, the teacher chooses 1 girl and 1 boy for "Outstanding Citizen Award". The hardest part is that the teacher reads her reasons why she chose the student, then says the name. 

To see the video from her teacher's presentation of the award & the reasons that she chose Madelyn--Click Here


And, in case you were unable to hear it all. This is it in written form.

Well, to say there were tears, that would be an understatement. We are so proud of all our kiddos. Sometimes, it just does the heart good to know that other people see it too.












My favorite line is: "that everyone considers a friend". After knowing Jesus as her Savior, one of my main concerns as a parent is that my child is a friend to all, that she loves beyond color/disability/life choices. . .that she demonstrates Jesus to all those around her, that she looks around and see who needs a friend in the moment. 

Now, I know you think that our time as a family since January has been sunshine and roses. But, let's be real. It's NOT. Adoption is redemption. A work in progress. It's amazing. It's hard. REAL hard. God is doing a work in these parents. He's redeeming us again. Not our saving redemption, but a redemption of changing us into who He desires us to be. Fixing the cracks, but first making them more noticeable. He is always making us. And, the adoption, well, it's being used as a refiner's fire. And, I can't wait to see who I am at the end (because it's got to be better than now).

BUT, my girls, well, they have been beyond awesome. They love fiercely and demonstrate more mercy and grace than I have ever watched in any other human being. They are living what we as adults cling to--the grace and forgiveness we so desperately need. Every day, my girls exhibit unconditional love like I have never seen. They have no preconceived ideas. They know that J is their brother and always will be. They know that he is no different from them in this family. And, they are happy about it. They have not allowed stress at home to deter their academic achievements. They have not allowed this life change to plummet their emotions. They have not exhibited any jealousy nor withheld their love. I am in awe of them. 

Here is to a year of remembrance. A year of change. A year of growth. A year closer to becoming who each of us has been created to be.

No comments: