Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Our Trip to our Son: Part 1

December 23, 2013:  Visa AND Exit Letter in hand. Jeremiah can leave Haiti.
December 24, 2013:  Christmas with the girls. Leave for our parents' homes.
December 25, 2013:  Our last family Christmas without Jeremiah. Christmas spent with the extended family.
December 26, 2013:  Girls stay with the grandparents. Tim and I leave to pack. I would like to say this was a night filled with quick packing (b/c we should have been ready after all this time), then rest and dinner together. Well, that didn't work quite as planned. Try packing, re-packing, Wal-mart for an HOUR to get more food (b/c we know I can't stand to lose any weight-LOL), suitcases from a friend, realize we can't have a carry-on over 10lbs or bigger than a bookbag on our flight from PAP to CAP (yes, the plane was that small) so that messes up our entire system. In tears, I spend more money on new luggage at Kohl's, but was blessed by the cashier who gave me a 20% off coupon without me even asking. I'm pretty sure I looked atrocious. Back home, smash our food into the suitcases, try to weigh them, then decide to just pray they are light enough. Oh, look on the floor and Jeremiah's clothes are still not packed. And, pretty sure we were already near the weight limit. Cry some more. Pack. Get to bed about midnight, then up around 3:00 am to get to the airport around 4:30 for our 6:25 am flight to Miami.
December 27, 2013:  In Miami by 9:15 am. We tried to find a friend of ours headed to Haiti from the airport, but we could not find him. So, we went to the hotel, then waited awhile for our room. Ordered lunch, then had the BEST nap ever. Friday was definitely relaxing. Basically, we were just waiting until Saturday morning to get to Haiti.
Outside by the Pool
This lovely creature is walking around.

Parents of Two Children about to become a family of 5

The Chef heard about our story. He sent us some snacks.

Yes, we paid extra so we could sit together. The only seats left were in the "good seats". These were the best seats that I had EVER seen. I could lay completely down and sleep. But, who could sleep? I was on my way to HAITI!!

December 28, 2013:  Jeremiah's Gotcha Day!
We were back on a plane at 7:10 am and in Port-Au-Prince by 9:05. Now the fun begins. I was prepared for the international airport at PAP this time. And, actually, it was smoother than I thought it would be. The challenge this time was finding our checked bags (we didn't check bags in June). But, it was easy-peesy. We grabbed our bags and geared up for the fight for our bags as we exited the airport. You see in Haiti people want to  help you with your bags for tips. I'm not opposed to this but despite Ivinge grabbing one of our bags and booking it to our vehicle with our driver and Tim and I running behind saying, "No thank you. We have a ride. No, thank you." A man lies to us and tells us he's with our driver and pulls our luggage WITH Tim pulling too. Two grown men pulling one suitcase. It would have been entertaining, if I had been in the mood to laugh. The man then tries to help Tim put the luggage in the back of the vehicle while Tim did a great block with his rear end. All the while saying, "I have it. No thank you."  The guy of course wanted paid. Again, I'm not opposed, but he had lied to us. We weren't very happy about that. But that would prove to be the easy part of the trip. 

We left that airport. Traveled 5 minutes to a tiny airport to fly in a VERY small plane to CAP (can you tell I haven't traveled much?) Again, out of the vehicle, fight for our bags, run into the airport, get ran over by "workers" who run in and out of security like it's the bathroom, then watch our bags get taken by those who could get through security faster than us. Luckily, they could only go a few feet to the ticket counter. Ok, so I wasn't happy that someone took my bags without asking, then wanted paid. Now, before you hate me, I understand that I have the money. I just didn't like the expectation. The worse part is that we got to this tiny airport 2 hrs early, so I could stare.at.the.TINY.plane.I.would.ride. This would prove to exhaust me. UGH!! Ivinge (COTP worker with us) sat with us for about 30 minutes. During that time, the man who took our bags and wanted money left us alone. Ivinge leaves, BOOM, he moves directly in front of me and stares me down for over 20 minutes. The only reason he stopped this is b/c I gave him money. Yes, I reinforced his behavior. Yes, I know that's why he stared. No, I DON'T CARE. I was already staring at a very small plane and my nerves were SHOT. I would have paid everyone there just to get me on that plane and to CAP early.

Yes, this is the plane I boarded. Apparently, the one I stared at was in front of this one. It may have been more appealing than this.


BUT, I was OUT of that airport. My teeth were gritty from the dust, but I didn't care. I might have gotten a heavier carry-on onto the plane than I should have. I might have been panicked as we ascended in this plane. But when you can see the pilots, well, that was unnerving. 

(Above-The front of the plane.)
(Left-The back of the plane. See the luggage in the bottom right corner? Our "checked" bags, then carry-ons piled on top. No drink services or restrooms here.)







We landed in Cap Haitian and waited on our "checked bags", so we could snatch them before anyone else. We do not know Creole. Just a few words, so we really couldn't communicate with any of the airport workers to ask where our bags were because they never showed up. We were blessed to meet 2 families who spoke French and English, so one lady who lives there navigated the airport looking for her bags and ours. We ultimately found out that they would be sent with the last flight of the day so we could come back later to get them. While I was chasing this woman in and out of buildings, our driver, Rikkens (spelling?), was chasing Tim and I around the tiny airport area. He was trying to convince us that he was our driver. He didn't know our names. Finally, he showed us a card from COTP of one of the workers there. So, we figured we didn't have a choice. We were on the road without our bags and with someone we prayed was really our driver. After the day we had, we were leery. But, Rikkens was good enough to call COTP from his cell phone so we could talk to the person we thought was picking us up. Then, it was time to relax, enjoy the bumpy ride (that's an understatement), and prepare to meet our son.

Yes, you will have to stay tuned for the good part. . .
(My apologies for the very boring, poorly written post. I really just wanted to journal this for myself!)



1 comment:

Jill Kemp said...

I just realized while reading this that I would pay money to read your book. Jill