Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Part 4, Here it goes!

The more I write, the more I remember. . .

One of the things we experienced while at COTP was preschool. Wow! Miss Tori had her hands full. And, to think, she taught in a small, covered, enclosed outdoor square with minimal materials, needy children-some on age level, some with special needs. She read to them, gave them sensory experiences, worked on improving fine motor, and sang songs. Jeremiah loved Miss Tori, and she loved him back. She also honored us by praying over Jeremiah and our family at the Good-bye Celebration. We are so blessed that she followed her calling to COTP. Jeremiah's academic progress today started with her. 


GOING HOME:
  • Wednesday evening I started packing. Trying to find the few items left that were halfway clean (everything gets a little dusty there, and I sweat a lot--imagine that). Giving away all the food that we brought except what was needed in our carry-on. Then, trying to pack all my purchases. Yep, it was a close call.
  • Thursday morning, January 2 we begin our journey with the Fitzgerald family and their children. We left early. I think we left COTP at about 5:00 am. Fortunately, we rode in the nice new vehicle. Unfortunately, they don't put heat in them (for obvious reasons), and it was chilly that morning.
  • Got to the airport in Cap Haitian to hop on our little plane.


    And, we are off. A little scarier with a 4-year-old since there are no bathrooms on this ride.


  • What I forgot to mention in my long, previous posts is this:
    • Kirk, the director who managed our paperwork on that end, sat down with both families on Wednesday and gave us our "packets". One set for us to have when we got home. One set for immigration as we entered the PAP airport. One that was SEALED for US Immigration. Then, calmly told us that we were to guard that packet with our life, that NO ONE needed it, that we should hold it if someone in PAP asked to see it, and that if the seal was broken when we landed in the US that we got to start the paperwork trail OVER. (He added that people might try to take it and bribe us to get it back b/c they knew we needed it). Well, that was reassuring.
  • So, we got to PAP. Checking in to our airlines. The airline attendant checking us in to print our boarding passes wanted to see "the packet". Tim held it, she tried to pull it out of his hands, he pulled it back--Yes, it was just like a tug-of-war with the packet. Finally, she looked at Tim and said, "I WILL give it back." Tim let go, but I found out later that his plan was to grab the scarf around her neck if she took it. And he had his hands HANGING over her computer while she had the package. We got it back. And, made it to our gate in record time. Little did we know we would not be leaving anytime soon.
  • Another way God loved on us during this very life-changing trip was to place one of our dearest friends in the PAP airport. A friend who grew up in Indiana but lives out of state now. We don't see him that often. Fortunately, the two times we went to Haiti--he was there the same week. We were going through security when we heard, "TIM TARVIN". Now, we heard clear English AND our name. What was the chance? It was such a blessing to have someone to bear our soul to, if only for an hour. And, to listen to his trip and not focus so much on the abnormal that had become our life. 
  • Then, we waited. We were to leave shortly after noon (I think. Honestly, the exact time escapes me). Then, one delay, and another, and another, and another. We were worried it would be cancelled because some other flights were going. They couldn't guarantee it wouldn't cancel then promised they would put us up in a hotel. We explained that we weren't sure we could go anywhere because we had turned in our paperwork for Jeremiah at immigration. All we had left was THEE packet and our copy. Eventually, Tim got our family and the other family moved to another flight that was leaving. In the end, it didn't make a big difference but it was reassuring to be on a flight that was going.
  • One Disappointment: we thought we would have plenty of time with Jeremiah in our hotel b/c our flight gave us a lot of time to get through US Immigration, then head to the hotel. Rest and a bath sounded amazing. Well, we got to immigration about 9:00 pm (should have been around 3:00) and couldn't get dinner until we were through. It was a LONG night, but we were so much closer to Indiana!
    Miami Hotel
    First McDonalds

    Miami Airport


    Breakfast in Miami
  • Admission: We had not been gone from our girls for this long and with such minimal contact. That was really hard on us. I'm sure it was on our girls. I have mixed feelings about not taking them with us. 
  • Miami flight was off to Chicago with no problems. Chicago? Well, you guessed it. MORE delays. The problem was that a group of people were meeting in the airport to welcome us. I didn't want to miss that! But, we made it after delays and NUMEROUS gate changes. I felt like the Chicago airport was undergoing a psychotic break. I might have laughed if I hadn't bee so anxious. 
  • On our flight out of Chicago, we met a lovely lady who was a nurse who had also served in Haiti for years and had adopted. I know now she probably knew exactly how I was struggling. Thank you Jesus for putting your servant in our path. No truer picture of the gospel than when we make disciples of all nations "as we are going"--all places, all times, in all seasons. 
  • I'm sure I am missing some fabulous information, but my mind is tired. I really want to get to the good stuff. ARRIVING HOME. 
  • So, I was nervous walking down that long hallway to greet our friends. Would I look happy enough? Would I hide all the true feelings we had had along the way? Would I be able to keep it together? Can I get to the girls fast enough? I will say that it was AMAZING having so many people welcome us home. Yes, Jeremiah was probably overwhelmed but most of the reason he had a "what is going on" look on his face in all the pictures was b/c he was irritated that he had not go his way in the airport to walk wherever he wanted. So, he was mad. And, therefore, he was already in a mood. Then, I'm sure that all the people didn't make it easy to change. So, seeing my family was just what I needed. Then, Tim had a surprise up his sleeve and talked with Ashley Bailey and her family to meet us. They adopted from one of Jeremiah's friends and live in KY. Can you believe they drove ALL THIS WAY??? I could not keep it together with her. That momma KNEW what my heart and mind were going through. She was one of the very view there that REALLY got it. I was ever so grateful to see someone who knew I was no longer the same person, and I would never be again. I had been changed.
    Tim pointing out the Bailey family!
    The Baileys



    Getting the boys together
    Hugging the one that understood it all in that moment!




  • And, a friend of mine who goes WAY back (Ellen) captured it all for us on film and blessed us with all the pictures. It was one of our greatest gifts during this journey. No amount of money could compare. (And, she lives in the Indy area if you need photos!)
  • We were united as a family of 5 on January 3, 2014. What a day! Written down and remembered in the history of our family from now til eternity. Blessed.

  • Blessed by our prayer warriors throughout. 

In case, you missed it. HERE is the Coming Home video. I treasure it. Thank you Brian Butler for loving us with your gift. It will be forever cherished!

And that is it for Part 4! I know more will be coming including our trip video. Stay tuned!







No comments: