What was most sad about our trip was not being able to see everyone who has been crucial to Jeremiah's growth. One missionary family returned the day before we left. Their kids were so sweet and also very affected by our children (their playmates) leaving. Thus another dimension that I had not anticipated. It broke my heart.
We were able to briefly visit them and say good-bye. Hard.Stuff.
But, before I go on, I forgot some very important details in my previous post. (Surprising after a year, huh?)
- Like entering the Baby House (where Jeremiah lived), sitting on the cold concrete, being covered in kids. THEN, one of the nannies sits beside me and starts singing some of Jeremiah's favorite songs in Creole. (Knowing he would join in. Knowing I could video it. Knowing as a mama that I would cherish such sounds). What I also loved is that I felt like my heart connected with hers and though I couldn't converse with her (OH, how I wish I could. Why did I not learn more Creole) we shared smiles and joy in that moment. I will treasure that 15 minutes of time more than any other on our trip. How I forgot it, I will never understand. (BTW, the last video I post-the long one-will have him singing!!)
Baby House where Jeremiah lived
- Or, how could I forget the night we decided to go out after dark across the compound just to see a tarantula where he was know to live. Hey, once in a lifetime opportunity. Then, we got see a huge one after it had been capture on the side of one of the houses.
- Or the day when as a family we joined all the other adoptive families as well as missionaries to COTP on the Wall of Hands. Highlight for sure.
- The exciting rides and close calls while traveling. Below would be how close a huge bus was to my seat in the van at one time. Yes, I could put my hand out and touch it (But I didn't. Come on people, I'm not that adventurous.) This of course is while we are on a typical size road in town, but there are a minimum of 4 cars wide trying to travel with "motos" going in and out. And, no, it wasn't 4 "lanes" just that many or more squeezing to get through with many, many more in front and behind.
- Or the tap-taps. I never want to forget that. Trucks turned into public transportation, where people hang out of the back and off the sides, while sitting on each others laps with livestock, such as chickens.
- Or, the beauty that IS Haiti. Gorgeous views, Gorgeous ocean, Gorgeous people.
- Oh, and Natalie and Vanessa. . .where would we have been without them? They had been there for a week before us serving and working. They had picked up some Creole phrases and graciously gave us their "cheat sheet". They taught us the ropes about the guest house and when our meal for the day came. They told us it was OK to have a bottle of Coke occasionally. (A fabulous treat for us!) Thank you for serving us that week! You were such a blessing!
- The MANGO tree! Is there any other place to sit? Are there any better chairs? Well, there wasn't unless a mango fell on your head.
- And, FRED. Jeremiah's best friend who was still there. He was one of the brightest little guys I have met. He was our translator. Yes, you heard me right. Fluent in English and Creole and Jeremiah's articulation. This was one of our heartbreaks during the journey.
- Finally, (Well, for this post. Let's get real. There might be 100 more "parts" to this story) what made this journey so bearable for us was the great photo updates we received of Jeremiah along the way. Photos from a photo shoot, IN HAITI! How awesome. Do you remember this adorable pic?
Well, these didn't happen on their own. The lady behind the camera? Miss Emily--who loved our children and loved on us by lavishing us with updates. This is a rarity in adoption land and a treasured gift. Thank you Emily!! (And, you better stop by if you are ever in the Midwest).
I hope you enjoyed Part 3. And, since it's obvious from this post that we left you hanging in Haiti, there will be a Part 4.
And in the event that you are thinking this journey was all sunshine and roses, think again.
This is the hardest road I have walked in my life.
I hope to have the courage to share more sometime, someday.
Adoption is great! We would never change a thing.
But reality is, it's hard stuff. Hard kids. Hard places.
More baggage than most of us carry in a lifetime.
Adoption is good but it's not the romantic notion many want it to be.
I won't lie. I will be real. Just ask.
God commands us to care for the orphan. Not a choice. But, He never said it would be easy.
So, if you think about us, continue to pray. The journey is far from over.











No comments:
Post a Comment