Sunday, January 19, 2014

God's Unseen Hand

Yes, I still need to blog about the trip.
No, this isn't it.
Yes, I plan to do so soon.


But this is the "prequel".
In late 2008 and early 2009, we were actively searching the adoption world.
If you haven't done so before, it's overwhelming. (Especially for someone who will shop the whole mall before buying a pair of jeans b/c I "might" find a better deal.) We had looked before and knew we would "dive" in at some point.


Our struggle? When was the time, Lord?
We wanted to be connected to the place we adopted from in the event that we had the opportunity to serve them later.


We had heard about Children of the Promise for years and had acquaintances from college who adopted children from there. When they adopted, there was no agency. You went through the orphanage.


So, we decided to contact COTP and "jump in". They were in the process of becoming a licensed "crèche". So, they were not doing the adoptions on their own. Rather they were using agencies. So, we called the agencies.


One agency was A Love Beyond Borders (the one we used for Jeremiah) and one was Celebrate Children International. I had several email exchanges with Celebrate Children and a lady named Sue Hedberg. At the time, she was steering us towards Ethiopia. We looked at waiting children and considered two older boys. We chatted on the phone. I was impressed with how personable she was. When we started the process with Jeremiah, I mentioned that the previous agency never directed me back to Haiti. Surprisingly (or not), the orphanage indicated that they were no longer using that agency.


So, I was quite shocked last night when I watched 48 hours regarding corruption in adoption and the agency spotlighted was Celebrate Children International and Sue Hedberg. (Watch: Perilous Journey)


I don't write this blog to scare anyone away from International Adoption. The truth is that anytime mankind is involved there is a risk for corruption. Any institution (like marriage or family) that so clearly exemplifies a picture of God's love toward us will be attacked by Satan. He will establish "fear" so that we will not step out on faith. Remember, Our God is not a God of fear. If fear is the ONLY reason you don't step out, then it might be exactly what you are being called to because the enemy is prohibiting you with a tactic that is not of God.


Adoption is beautiful.
Adoption is HARD.
Sometimes children are brought home.
Sometimes children die waiting on the process.
Sometimes children are not really orphans. When the truth is revealed (as it should be), adoptive parents who stepped out in faith may come home empty handed.


It's a risk. NO MATTER WHAT. We don't serve a God who has "safe" plans for us. We serve a God that hides us in the shadow of His wings, who loves us, who cares for us, who has already guaranteed our "safe" eternity. It is not a guarantee of safety here or our "perfect" plans.


That being said, I write this for you to know that this is a spiritual battle. The battle begins before you start looking into adoption. We did not have peace about the adoption in 08/09 and are grateful for God's hand in that. We do consider it His intent in this situation, but just because some adoptions are caught in corruption does not mean that God's hand isn't in that or that someone didn't pray hard enough.


Our lesson should just be this:
PRAY for the orphan, PRAY for adoptive parents, PRAY for the corruption to be revealed, PRAY that the process can be streamlined yet protect kids who have been sold or taken, PRAY PRAY PRAY. Because the Word of God is still true, and it says that we are all to care for the orphan and the widow. You may not be called to adopt, but you are called to support adoption in a variety of ways. PRAYING is the best way. I'm not talking throw up a prayer once a year. I'm talking on your knees doing battle type praying. This is serious. Children are dying. Children are being sold. Children are starving. Children are in need of someone to love them unconditional. (And, by the way, this is to remind myself that I need to continue to be battling!)


I remember some being concerned about the agency and orphanage we were using when we finally "dove in".  Would they be corrupt? The truth? That could have happened. This is messy. But, trusting God, regardless of the outcome, is where faith comes in. Not just trusting it's going to happen like I think. Trusting that when it happens like He purposes that I will be able to stand on His strength.
(And by the way, I'm not saying I'm good at handling His plan for me! Lots of growth to do there!!)


I pray that this entire process could be improved to glorify God, but it does start with the church. The world has no clue. Our first goal: Less orphans. Yep, you heard me right. Study why we have orphans (not just parental death). Work to improve the problem creating orphans. Then, for those truly orphaned, bringing them into our home.


Yes, it's BIG work. But, the last time I checked we serve a BIG God. None of the examples of His work in scripture were mediocre. It's time we stood without fear and watched Him part the waters, then walked on the dry land.

No comments: