Monday, January 6, 2014

Leading up to "GO!"

December entered and left in a flash!
Never before has it gone so fast.

After receiving our "surprise" email on December 4th, we agonized over the December 17th visa date.

December 17th: We waited ALL day to see what the embassy would say about not having a legalized birth certificate. No word. The other family heard, but we did not. Typically, that has meant bad news, so we weren't sure what to think.

God begins speaking, "I know the plans I have for you. . ." This is repeated over to me constantly!

Then, we finally hear that they were asked to return on the 18th to pick up his visa!! We were so excited. And, they rarely have the visa in one day, so we were ecstatic. Visa in hand=Airline Tickets could be booked. The 18th, no visa. The 19th, no visa. The 20th, no visa. (issues with the computer software. Surprised?)

God whispers, "I know the plans I have for you. . ."

During the wait, God continues showing me how He loves me. How He has plans greater than I could ever have.

-That week someone I had longed to hear from during this process contacted me out of the blue. The very thing He had prompted me to pray about a few days before.

"I know the plans I have for you"

-That week a college friend that I haven't seen for years messaged me and said that her daughters and their friends had saved money that year to support other families. They were touched by Jeremiah's story and had themselves known the miracle of adoption. So, they decided to send money to support our trip to Haiti. Really God? You even use the young to lift our spirits. I love that.

"I know the plans I have for you"

-Another family that I have only known briefly through the girls' activities messaged me and said that they wanted to bring something by for Jeremiah. Really Lord?

"I know the plans I have for you"

-Tim's co-workers contacted me to plan a surprise "shower" for Tim where they each brought their favorite children's book. In the mix was a Kohl's card and a few great items for the plane. Kohl's card helped us buy a warm outfit and necessities like underwear and socks. It might seem like something small but with the amount of money we were spending for travel that week, well, it was a blessing beyond measure!

"I know the plans I have for you"

Then, we were like "car seat??" We have been out of the car seat era for awhile. Things change. Tim's boss loaned us a really nice car seat that was a necessary 5 point harness on a seat that is more like a car seat. Amazing!

"I know the plans I have for you"

While being reminded that He knew what He was doing, we did manage to finish some last minute errands over the weekend. We knew that even if we got a visa on Monday that we would need to wait 3-4 days for his exit letter, which we did not know with the holidays how that would work. So, even getting a visa on Monday did not guarantee travel.

And, while we shopped, some lovely ladies asked if they could clean my house. Oh, God knows me so well. That was SUCH a blessing.

"I know the plans I have for you" (I also made you and knew that cleanliness would make the rest of the planning much less stressful).

Monday, December 23rd, we get word. VISA was picked up. And, guess what? The embassy already had the exit letter ready when they picked up the visa.

OK God, are you showing off now? By all means, continue it.

"I know the plans I have for you"

Remember all those special people who were stepping up and praying or supporting us financially? Well, our plane tickets were 2x what we paid in June. Most hotels in Miami near the airport were booked except for the expensive ones for our trip down. We paid 3x the cost from our June trip. Our hotel on return was a bit higher too. But, God knew.

"I know the plans I have for you"

What has amazed me most are the people who have sent much needed, completely encouraging messages to us. People who I have known throughout my life, but who have literally knocked my socks off with their concern and their prayers. People who have their prayer warriors praying in their church. . .those people have never met us. People who are going through their own difficulties in life are remembering us. People whom I haven't seen in years (lots of years) suddenly a part of this journey to our son. People who do not know us have been messaging us. It's funny. You know that your close friends are praying and you expect that they will encourage you along the way. But, I never dreamed in a million years that those who were in our lives in the past would be so invested on their knees (where it mattered) for our son. For us. For our girls.

"I know the plans I have for you". Those plans go beyond this adoption. They go deep into who I am to become. They are to develop my own prayer life to be deeper. They are to develop my greater expectations of who He is. To expect a mountain-moving, sea parting, dead-raising God b/c that is who He is and He doesn't change. It's the people who have changed. The "depend on myself" kind of people. Those that are content with average b/c "we can make that happen."

I'm no longer content with that life.

And, as I write this, He has revealed to me another truth. You see that little boy in the other room. The one who is so INDEPENDENT. The one who says "I TRY IT". The one who could move to and fro within the gate on his own. The one that doesn't want you to do things for him? That's YOU. And, YOU are not ME. I alone am God. You are to depend on ME. You cannot do it on your own. You don't know how to regulate your own food, you can't survive without ME, you don't know what is best for you.
 I DO because "I know the plans that I have for you".

No comments: